Thursday, March 8, 2012

Recycled Map Post Cards

 Green Crafts
By Megan Friday
Printed in Mankato, Minnesota, USA

This book is written for ages 8 and up.  It's not only fun for kids, but for adults too.  

Although many of the crafts in this book have similar ideas found in other books, I found one that caught my attention - recycled map stationary.

This book shows how to make note cards, post cards and envelopes, using old maps.

I used an old post card to trace around and create myself a template.  I then traced and cut the same shape from an old map.  These post cards are about 4 1/4 x 6 inches.

I used the extreme Elmer's glue stick to attach my map to the outside of the cut cereal box, leaving the blank side for writing.

Using a ruler and sharpie marker, I measured the lines on my old post card, and added them to my new recycled post card.  The center line is approximately 7 cm from the right side.  I left a section at the bottom, that the postal service typically reserves for their use.  That area measures 3/4 inch high from the bottom, and 4 inches in from the right side.  The lines for writing the address are approximately 1 cm apart from each other.

Have fun and make a set for gifting.  Wrap them with scrap twine.  Keep extras for thank you notes or to just say hello.  Kids will have fun making these, and it may even encourage them to write more often.

1 comment:

Sam I Am...... said...

This is a great idea! Not sure I have a lot of old maps around but I'm sure I do...somewhere as I hate throwing anything out! I am always torn now between repurposing and clearing clutter...it's like a battle between good and evil! LOL!